Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight falls?

Okay people, this is the movie that everyone was hoping for.  I wasn't.  From what I could see from the trailers the movie looked like it was going to be okay, but not that great, and I was right.

Clearly diminished from the first 2 of Nolan's incarnations of Batman movies, the third movie has a lot of faults, but I'll put up my top 3.

Fault 1:  Bruce Wayne gave up his cowl?  In what universe would the Batman ever quit fighting?  Especially given the reason he stopped was because of the death of his unrequited love Rachel Dawes.  That wouldn't keep old bats down, if anything it would spur him on and think it crushed my spirit a little to see that happen to him.

Fault 2:  The plot.  It actually reminded me of Die Hard: With a Vengeance only not as good.  It meanders and sways and the timing and structure are there for fleeting seconds to remind you that it has to go somewhere else and it will be back later to explain what just happened, it promises.

Fault 3:  The acting, or directing?  Listen, we all know these people can act, we all love them, but it felt like after the first couple of takes, Nolan says "Ehh, good enough."  Christian Bale's performance felt really lacking like he was just reading them out.  In fact, almost all of the characters from the other movies just felt stale like their hearts weren't in it.  The new actors all were pretty solid though, which at least made it bearable to watch.


Now that I've listed my thoughts of the worst aspects of the film, here are couple I thought were the best.


Like 1:  The twist.  Not going to spoil anything, but there is a reason why I brought up Die Hard: With a Vengeance and it isn't because of all the dump trucks.

Like 2:  The fresh blood.  Even though they didn't have a lot of character or back story to go on, at least they were trying.  Anne Hathaway was pretty darn good as Selena Kyle.  I say Selena because no one in the film calls her Catwoman, ever.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I mean come on, how could you not love this guy.  I for one want to be his best friend.  He is really the thing that holds this film together, the stop gap in the plot holes if you will.  Tom Hardy as Bane was good, the character he played was not.  Marion Cotillard, is really good in her role as well, even if the role she plays is somewhat limiting.

Like 3:  The feel.  Now this is a double edged sword for me.  As I've stated in the faults, the plot is, for lack of a better word, stupid.  But I could see where the writer was trying to go with it, even if he ultimately failed.  It reminded me of my personal favorite arc of Batman: No Mans Land.  I say it reminds me of it, not that it has anything to do with it at all.  But you really should read it, it's so good.  Unlike this movie.



Now, people who aren't such avid fans of Batman will probably enjoy this movie, I enjoyed this movie.  It just didn't give me that sense of awesome that the first 2 gave me.  It's a good movie, but with poor execution by someone who looks like they weren't really trying.


I give it,  7/10.  I'd like to know if anyone agrees or disagrees in the comments below.




At least it's better than Schumacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment